For over a year we’ve been asking, shouting and then finally praying that Dollar and Thrifty Rent A Car amend their fuel policy. At times it felt like we were banging our heads against a brick wall but today I’m happy to confirm that we’ve finally had a breakthrough.
U.S. Rent A Car customers booking our silver rate with Dollar Rent A Car will be offered the option to return the car the same way as they collected it and avoid a fuel charge.
Here’s the full statement we received moments ago;
As you know, two of our rate packages (Silver and Silver GPS) do not include fuel and the renter must pre-purchase a tank of fuel a time of rental.
This policy has advantages for the renter:
- · Saves time when returning the vehicle
- · No need to re-fill the vehicle before return
- · The fuel is charged at the average local rate
However, we acknowledge that some renters may prefer to collect the vehicle with a full tank and return with a full tank and receive no fuel charges.
With this ‘full to full’ option, if is necessary for us to fill the fuel tank further, we will charge the renter at a premium fuel rate (a higher rate than the rate charged for pre-paid fuel option).
We have decided to offer this “full to full” fuel option for U.S. Rent A Car customers upon return of the vehicle.
The renter will continue to pre-purchase a tank of fuel at the beginning of the rental and then, at the time of return, if they choose to return the vehicle full, they can request that the pre-paid fuel charge be removed from their rental agreement.
The vehicle must be refueled within 10 miles of the return station and the renter must present the receipt from the petrol station (gas station).
If the vehicle is not completely full, the renter will be charged at a premium rate for us to fill the vehicle completely.
So in summary, your renter’s now have 3 fuel options:
1. Gold/Platinum or Gold/Platinum GPS rate – the tank of fuel is included in the rate so car is rented full and returned as empty as possible. No local fuel charge to the renter.
2. Silver or Silver GPS rate – renter must pre-purchase a tank of fuel at the beginning of the rental and should return as empty as possible. Tank of fuel charged locally to the renter.
3. Silver or Silver GPS rate – renter must pre-purchase a tank of fuel at the beginning of the rental. Before returning the vehicle, fill the tank within 10 miles of the rental station and at the time of return, request that the pre-paid fuel charge is removed from the rental agreement. Provide the fuel station receipt and the pre-paid fuel charge will be removed by the rental agent.
So basically, upon collection of your vehicle you will be asked to leave an imprint of your credit debit/card, the usual fuel charge will be made however upon return of the vehicle when you hand the keys over to the Dollar/Thrifty Rent A Car staff member if you produce your fuel receipt the initial fuel charge will be removed. The Dollar/Thrifty Rent A Car staff members all carry handheld computers which are linked to your rental agreement so the process is very quick and accurate.
We are delighted that Dollar/Thrifty Rent A Car have made this amendment for our customers. It proves the reviews we ask you to leave for each supplier after you rental is complete are being read and taken on board.